As the founder of the firm, Jenn Urban devotes herself to representing charitable and nonprofit organizations throughout Minnesota and Ohio.
Jenn routinely assists nonprofits, charitable organizations, and individual donors with a variety of matters, including:
Jenn Urban is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Madison as well as Ohio State University Moritz College of Law. After graduation, she served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Peggy L. Bryant, Tenth District Court of Appeals for the State of Ohio. Before transitioning to private practice, Jenn served four years as an Assistant Attorney General at the Office of the Ohio Attorney General in the Charitable Law Section. Jenn learned the importance of protecting charitable assets through investigation and enforcement. While an Assistant Attorney General, Jenn also regulated Ohio’s healthcare and nonprofit organization structures through the review of merger and acquisition transactions; mediated complex healthcare disputes and separations; lead an enforcement team; represented the State in administrative hearings regarding charity gaming license suspensions and revocations; and executed/upheld settlement agreements.
Jenn also honed her nonprofit business acumen while serving as the Executive Director of a Minnesota nonprofit with business operations in three (3) states. She is currently active in the Minnesota and Ohio legal communities, enjoys teaching and speaking at legal education seminars, is an adjunct professor leading the nonprofit law clinic at the University of St. Thomas School of Law, and is a member of numerous prominent local legal organizations. Jenn is dedicated to providing each of her clients with education, creative solutions, and reliable advice.
JURIS DOCTOR, OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY MORITZ COLLEGE OF LAW
Graduated Top Third
Managing Editor, Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution
University of Oxford-Ohio State University Summer Law Program
Public Service Fellow
BACHELOR OF ARTS, WITH HONORS, UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-MADISON
Political Science and International Relations
Kappa Alpha Theta
- State Bar of Minnesota
- United States District Court, District of Minnesota
- State Bar of Ohio
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits, Associate Member
- Better Business Bureau
- Office of Lawyers Professional Responsibility, 4th District Ethics Committee, Investigator
- Kappa Alpha Theta, Minneapolis and St. Paul Alumnae Chapters, Member
- FBI Minneapolis Citizens Academy Alumni Association, Member
TEACHING & TRAINING:
- Adjunct Professor: Nonprofit Law Clinic, University of St. Thomas School of Law (2017).
- CLE Presentation: Ultimate Guide to Tax-Exempt Organizations, National Business Institute (NBI) (anticipated, 2017).
- CLE Presentation: Nonprofit Board Governance, Risks and Liability: Top Secrets Attorneys Must Know, National Business Institute (NBI) (anticipated, 2017).
- CLE Presentation: Tax-Exempt Organization Incorporation Process: A to Z, National Business Institute (NBI) (anticipated, 2017).
- CLE Presentation, Teleconference: Tax-Exempt Organizations: New Requirements and Regulations, National Business Institute (NBI) (2017).
- CLE Presentation: Ultimate Guide to Tax-Exempt Organizations, National Business Institute (NBI) (2016).
- CLE Presentation: Establishing a 501(c)(3) Organization, National Business Institute (NBI) (2016).
- CLE Presentation: Ethical Considerations for Attorneys Serving on Nonprofit Boards, Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA) (2016).
- Adjunct Professor: Mergers & Acquisitions, Mitchell Hamline School of Law (Spring 2016).
- CLE Presentation: Ultimate Guide to Tax Exempt Organizations, National Business Institute (NBI) (2015).
- Panel Discussion: Hot Topics in Business Law 2015: Mergers and Acquisitions in the Nonprofit World, Mitchell Hamline School of Law Center for Law and Business (2015).
- CLE Presentation: Advanced Tax Exempt Organizations: Top 12 Challenges, National Business Institute (NBI) (2015).
- CLE Presentation: Tax Exempt Organizations from Start to Finish, National Business Institute (NBI) (2015).
- CLE Presentation: 7 Super Tips for Handling Nonprofits, West Metro CLE Consortium (2015).
- CLE Presentation: Nonprofit Formation: A Step-by-Step Guide, National Business Institute (NBI) (2014).
- CLE Presentation: Ethics for Lawyers Serving on Nonprofit Boards, Minnesota Intellectual Property Law Association (2014).
- Presentation: Overview of Nonprofit Law, Leaders Impacting the Nonprofit Community (LINC), Hennepin County Bar Association (2014).
- Presentation: The Legalities of Being a Nonprofit Board Member, City of Eden Prairie/Eden Prairie Chamber of Commerce/Eden Prairie Community Foundation, Eden Prairie Community Education (2013).
- CLE Presentation, Panel Discussion: Challenges in Starting Your Firm and How to Overcome Them. Minnesota Continuing Legal Education (2012, 2013, 2014).
- Presentation: Conflict Management, Minnesota Youth Soccer Association, Inc. (2013, 2014).
- Presentation: Volunteers, Minnesota Association for Volunteer Administration (2012).
- Publication: What Should your Board Members Be Accomplishing at Board Meetings?, MSBA Solo and Small Firm Section Newsletter (2012).
- Radio: AM 1570 Peter McClellan Show: Interview with Jennifer L. Urban (2011).
- Publication: Tips & Traps: Soliciting for Charity, Minnesota Bench & Bar Magazine (2010).
When Jenn isn’t working on a client matter, she can most likely be found working at home on a renovation or gardening project, spending time with friends, or hanging out with her trusty bulldog Luna.
Office Phone: (612) 284-6441, ext. 1
View Jenn’s LinkedIn Profile
Elaine has dedicated her life and career to the service of the greater community. As an important part of the Legal for Good team, Elaine keeps the firm running smoothly and assists its clients in many ways. Elaine is a graduate of Bethel University, where she studied Sociocultural Studies, as well as Eastern University, and earned a Masters of International Development. With a wide variety of professional experience in the nonprofit community of Minnesota and worldwide, Elaine has expertise in nonprofit development, management, and fundraising that she brings to her role with Legal for Good. She has also walked in the shoes of our clients, knowing first-hand much of the work that our clients are doing themselves, as she has founded and launched a globally-focused, educational nonprofit organization.
- Local and global outreach volunteer director at Awaken Community in St. Paul.
- Funding consultant for the Rechtzigel Family Foundation, Seed Foundation in Kenya, and Somali Youth and Family Services of Minneapolis.
A native of Brazil and avid world traveler. When not working, Elaine is either traveling, planning a trip, or dreaming of future travels! Elaine’s part a book club that has been together for over 14 years. She loves to plan and host events for her many friends, spend time with her family, and cuddle with her beloved dog, Mushka.
Office Phone: (612) 284-6441, ext. 2